When, Where & Why Should I Check My Credit?
You DO Have Privileges When it Comes to Your Credit Report. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you have rights to:
- Obtain a free copy of your credit report
- Know who has requested your report
- Dispute any false information
- Explain the circumstances around any unfavorable information
INSIDER PRO TIPS
Why Should I Check My Credit and When?
At a minimum, you should check your credit at least once a year. You are entitled to one free copy of your credit report annually. Reasons for you to take advantage of requesting your free report are:
- It will help you notice and report any errors
- You might be able to stop identity theft and credit card fraud
- You will be able to see negative issues that are affecting your score
- See if those you co-signed for are paying their loan as agreed